Here are my 10 top reasons why Jonas Kaufmann is the world's top tenor! My apologies to the other great tenors I love! They know who they are!
10. The most varied repertoire since Placido Domingo.
9. Looks of a movie star. The kind attributed to his predecessor Franco Corelli
7. One of the leading Lieder interpreters around today (Honest music making...No tricks)!
6. Morbidezza (elasticity/flexibility)
5. Excellent French diction (Not a given for a non-French tenor)
6. Speaks native level English, excellent Italian!
5. A very thoughtful and profound interpreter. Nothing superficial about his interpretations
4. A very consistent and reliable technique (Above videos demonstrate this)
3. A very comfortable and natural actor who understands how to use the music as impulse without getting into stock gestures or attempting a naturalistic acting style not suited to an operatic environment
2. The physical constitution to handle a very demanding schedule! Few in the dramatic tenor category have been able to be as consistent in their appearances as he, and he sings song recitals as well as orchestral concerts. Old School!
1. And of course! Although his repertoire does not always demand it, he commands a good High C!